Sunday, September 14, 2008

True IRONY at work....

All of these pictures are from my camera phone. So, they are not of the best quality, and for some reason my program wasn't letting me adjust the color/contrast... so here they are in their raw form!

Yesterday we went up to Portland to do a cyclocross bike race, and then go the temple afterwards. Cyclocross is where you bike and also jump off at times and run over barriers, or up hills with your bike. Well, the name of the race was Pain on the Peak... and it should have been Dust on the Peak. Gorgeous views of the coastal mountains!!!!!! Just beautiful!!!!! But we haven't had rain forever, so it was PURE dust. As you can see from the picture above, the kids LOVED it! James went once around the course, and crashed into the dust... no dirt, just dust... at least 6 inches of it in spots... and got covered! But he loved every second of it! And as you can see from our 3rd child that we nicknamed Pigpen from Charlie Brown on our last trip, he held true to his name. When the boys and I were following James around a little while he was riding the course, and Todd was putting bikes on the cars, both Alex and Glenn were shuffling their feet in the dust trying to create as much dust as possible. Glenn said he was trying to look like he was biking. The whole course was literally just a haze of dust that just was worse when riders were riding the course!

The funny story of the day, though, and the ironical one! As we were heading to the race, I asked Todd if he grabbed my helmet. He looked at me with this panicked look... no, did you grab your shoes?.... no... I had it in my mind that I was to take care of the kids and lunch, food, etc. He was taking care of bikes. So, my helmet and shoes were at home, and we did NOT have time to go back to get them. We were already running late for James' kids race as it was. Of course we pre-registered because I was afraid that if Todd didn't sign me up, I would wimp out. Well, here was the perfect opportunity to wimp out! But the more I thought of it, the more I just thought I'd have some fun, and I needed the practice, anyway. Who cared if I didn't do well. Todd, said, "Well, I'll change James' pedals out, and you can d vo in your shoes." Well, I only had my sandals, no running shoes. "What?" Todd asks? There goes idea number two. We got to the race, and I cinched down my Chaco's as tight as I could. James' pedals wouldn't fit on my bike.... well, really, there goes idea number 2. Clipless pedals are much smaller than regular pedals, and with sandals, I'd be sliding off constantly. So, when Todd finished his race, I had 5 minutes before my own race. I didn't know what I was going to do. Todd slipped off his shoes and socks, and stuffed his socks in the toes of his shoes. I put them on. The socks didn't work in front, but they worked ok by my heal. Note that I wear a women's size 8, and he wears a men's size 11! So, with 1 minute before the start of the race, and no warm up whatsoever, other than running around with kids to get numbers, and such, off I went. Well, I felt like I did pretty good, but it was hard to tell because they let the Women's A and B class leave about a minute ahead of my women's beginner class. So, I completely lost track of everyone, and had no idea really where I placed. I just knew I finished right by one women's B rider. I only lost a sock once on lap 3, so had to do the rest of the race with one sock in, one off.. it was crazy! I did manage to pick the sock up on the 4th lap and stuff it in my back jersey pocket... I lost it on a hill that was so huge, I was basically walking up it with my bike on my shoulder. So, I had plenty of time to bend down to pick up that sock... whew... Well, we looked at the board, and I had won 1st place in women's beginner.... so here's the kicker.... what did I win for 1st place???.... a new pair of shoes!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Is that hilarious, or what! Now it would have been more funny if it was a new pair of bike shoes, but it's a new pair of Keen shoes. Either way, we got a GREAT laugh out of that! Needless to say, I don't think I'll ever forget my bike shoes again!
One more story... after one of the men finished in the Men's A category (the fastest), he looked at James, and said, I wish I was you, and wouldn't have to worry about getting dirt on my front teeth! This man's front teeth literally were COVERED in dirt stuck to his teeth, so in a way he looked like James... no front teeth... if you didn't stop to look a little closer to see that it was caked mud!
We all cleaned up with LOTS of baby wipes, and got dressed and headed over to the temple. It was wonderful! Great way to end the day. Todd went inside to do a session, and the kids and I just hung around and played, and enjoyed being together. It was a beautiful day, mid 80's and the flowers at the temple were gorgeous, as always! Then afterwards we went to Sweet Tomatoes (one of our favorites!) and off we went home. We got home about 11:15, and it was a long day, but so worth it! Anyway, I hope you enjoyed the ironic story!

2 more funny stories I almost forgot. Alex was sitting on the toilet, and listing all the things he loved.... Mama, Papa, James, Glenn, Ellie, Costco trucks, and Rushmore. I couldn't believe he remembered Mt. Rushmore! That was cool.

Then as we were leaving Sweet Tomatoes, Glenn is coming out with the rest of us, and asks me, why people can't steam in there? "What's that Glenn?" "Why can't people steam in there?" "What?" James says, "I know what he's saying, mama, he wants to know why people can't smoke in there." Thought that was cute. Thanks for the help James!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You got first place, virtually shoeless???!! And won a pair of shoes!! That is AWESOME

Chris & Stephanie said...

YOU ARE AWESOME!

What a great day!!

D.B. said...

Yea, looking at the other comments, I would say you often underestimate your performance as well. Escpecially with shoes modified like that, I'm surprised you didn't kill yourself. However, I seem to recall something similar happening on our Monday night rides and now that you've added 3 kids to the mix. I'm guessing it could happen again. That race sounds like crazy fun!