Monday, September 8, 2008

First Day of School and stuff...

Well, it's a new school year, and the kids are stoked! On Labor Day, we had a neighborhood girl over, and she was asking James if he was ready for school. He said, 'yeah, it starts tomorrow!' She asked him if he went to Mountain View. He said, 'no, I go to school at home.' She said, "At home? You should go to Mountain View, it's lots of fun." At this point, my ears were perked... I was quite interested to see what James would say. He said "Well, you should come to school here. We have lots of fun, too." Then the little girl responded, "I don't know if my mom will let me." It was a very cute interchange. And I was happy to hear that James has lots of fun at our school too :-)
The first day was all fun and games. We got out some new learning games, and just played together all day. Whatever they wanted to play, we did. We just enjoyed time together with nothing else going on. And the highlight for the kids, was the Lunchables lunch! All the neighborhood kids have had these, and they come with these Star Wars flip cards... do I need to say more! Todd and I talked about it, and since we were never allowed to have these type of things growing up (no offense mom or Grandma D... we obviously turned out fine... well, I guess that's to be debated!) we wanted to give our kids this splurge for their first day of school. So, I had to deal with the kids asking if it was lunch yet, about every 10 minutes! But when it was FINALLY lunch time, they ate outside in the beautiful weather, and kicked their feet up to relax... ahhh. the life :-) Flip... flip... flip... flip went the star wars cards... over and over again :-) Then after a little bit of play time outside, we continued with our game playing... outside... it was just too beautiful to stay inside!

So, this year is more Ancient History, which the kids LOVE, and Chemistry, which again the kids LOVE. So, we're excited for another fun year! James is happy to do his math, but would MUCH rather learn history. Glenn is happy doing history, but would MUCH rather do his math. It is so funny to see their personalities come out, and will be so interesting to see how they progress!

Above is a picture of Alex in nursery. He's taken his shoe off, and declared his foot 'itchy'. Well, he doesn't want to itch it. He sits down, takes his shoe off, walks over to you, and grabs your hand and puts it to his foot and says, "itchy." Then wants you to scratch it! Ever since we've gotten back from the great midwest where mosquitoes have been known to walk off with people, Alex insists he still has "squito bite" all over his body, and insists you itch them!
And this picture is not of one in our family! This is my friends little girl. And I just had to include it, because this is why I love teaching nursery at church! That is a face of pure delight! Oh, to watch children thoroughly enjoy something, I think, is the best way I would like to spend my time! I love it!
I think that's about all. It's more about Ancient China tomorrow... you could easily spend a month on them! Fascinating! And with 80 plus degree weather all week (hint, hint, Grandma/pa D), we'll be spending as much as we can outside!
Take care!

Sarah

1 comment:

D.B. said...

80 degrees, that's just silly, good luck with school!