Tuesday, June 3, 2008

To the in-laws

OK, so I may be on a sentimental kick, but I want to take a post to thank my in-laws for all that they do for our family.

So, I thought I'd look online to see if I could find a poem that would encase my feelings towards my in-laws. Wow! I found websites dedicated to bashing in-laws, and found lots of corny poems... I finally found one very positive one, and it had to do with how supportive her mother-in-law was, even after their divorce! So, I decided to can the poem idea :-)

Jeanne and Glenn drove over 7000 miles in total to come out and help with baby Ellie, and the boys. That should be enough to show their personality right there. True dedication. It doesn't matter what we need, they are always there willing to help. Living the distance we do can be quite challenging, yet they work hard to close that gap, and create the relationship they want with their grandkids. At this age, we could care less what they think of us... :-)... really, we just want them to develop that relationship with our kids. Both Todd and I were so blessed to have such wonderful grandparents whom we loved. And thankfully MawMaw is still with us for all of us to enjoy. But we loved those experiences that we had, and want our kids to enjoy those same experiences.
So, out they come, ready to build Snowspeeders and Mellenium Falcons, cook fabulous meals for us, drive James to baseball and karate, and play their DS together! What fun the boys had with their grandparents! And how wonderful it was for me to watch them interact with my boys while sitting back and feeding Ellie :-) Oh, and I need to mention, that they also came with a prize for me.... OREOS! Since I couldn't have them while pregnant, Glenn specifically brought me strawberry milkshake Oreos! They were FABULOUS! Very soft and creamy... I'd highly recommend them to anyone! Next time, I'll make sure to share :-) And as you can see from the picture, Jeanne also bought a chocolate cake from Costco to celebrate! We'd been scheming that one well before Ellie came along :-)

I can honestly say that I love my in-laws. They are such wonderful people, and have done a wonderful job raising my husband! I couldn't ask for a better man, father, husband, and know that their raising shaped him into who he is today. Hopefully I've helped a little :-) That's the great thing about being married to Todd, though, is I really think we help bring out the best in each other. Todd has taught me how to do laundry so they don't wrinkle (I'm still learning, but have come a long ways!), taught me about dish and hand towels, and taught me about putting drinks on wood. Usually men don't care about these things, but obviously Todd was taught well, and did care! Although on a side note, once Jeanne came to visit, and put her drink on the wood end table. Todd gave her a look, and told her that she was the one who taught him otherwise! It was funny. And once I did ask my mom if she knew there was a difference between hand and dish towels, cause Todd told me there was! She said, of course there was a difference, but Dad never adhered to those rules, so she finally gave up, and that's why I didn't know there was a difference! Good ol' dad! He always has marched to beat of his own drum, which is why I love him so much!

Jeanne and Glenn came a week before Ellie was born, and stayed for a week afterwards, and they could have stayed longer! We loved having them with us, and are thankful to them for putting up with 3 loud energetic boys! My boys LOVE to play with each other, and many times do so very loudly! And coming from just the two of them, I'm sure it's a little adjustment to say the least! But they never complained, and always went with the flow! Even Alex, who was starting his tantrum stage, was still doted after. And when Ellie came, and Alex was out of his sorts, Grandma D did so well with him! Thankfully he's adjusting better now, is becoming more of the Alex we once knew! He still has a ways to go, but he's talking up a storm, which is helping him communicate, instead of tantruming :-)

I am so thankful for my in-laws, and am thankful that I don't have to waste time bashing them, but hopefully I spend enough time thanking them for all that they do for us and our kids. My heart aches for those who don't have a relationship with their in-laws, because it is such a treat, and I know my life is more enriched by having them in our lives. Our family is so blessed to have such wonderful grandparents to our kids on both sides. They both live so far away, but do such a great job trying to keep in touch. It's difficult sometimes with so many things going on in our lives! But I am grateful for the time they take to come visit us in OR (especially with gas and plane prices what they are!), and hope to see them all soon!

Thanks Jeanne and Glenn! From the bottom of the hearts of The Boys Club, plus one girl! And from your son and daughter-in-law!

No comments: