Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Recapping some past events....


Ellie really has allowed us to slow down a bit to enjoy life, like the picture to the right! :-). When you have a baby, you are supposed to slow down, in theory! But with 3 other kids, slowing down doesn't mean you can sit around and eat BomBom's... although I certainly have been doing my share of eating chocolate bars! Slowing down, has meant for us, enjoying our time together as a family. Instead of heading off to the races, and running around with our heads cut off all over town, we've been able to enjoy our time around the house getting things done, enjoying play dates with friends, and just enjoying time together as a family playing games and reading books. Sure, it's crazy at times, but as I sit around in the late hours at night, or the wee hours of the morning, contemplating life, I wouldn't change it for the world!


Today my dad found out that his cancer has spread. And it was hard on him... which made it very hard on me! I contemplated a lot today. I took time to just sit and read my scriptures, looking at the grand scheme of things... and I am oh so grateful that I know we have one!

The relationship that I have with my dad is one that I cherish. It is a father/daughter relationship to its finest. And as I thought about that today, I thought of all the little things that we've done together to develop that relationship. Sure, we did some grand things together... camping in the BWCAW was my highlight, but it was the little things that I think was the cement. It was the drives to school and the talks that were associated with it (nothing earth-shattering... but just talking... this is where I learned what streaking meant!)... it was the night past curfew where I got in big trouble, but was a great conversation we had out of it... it was the time I got the car stuck 3 hours away from home and we had to go tow it out, it was the times he would take me to work with him after hours, because he had to get something. I just loved spending time with him... it didn't matter if he was busy, or tired, or even upset with me. Just sitting in the same room with him was all that I needed to know that I was loved and cared for. I am so thankful for his example, for it has helped me realize how to make our cement in our family. I only hope and pray that my kids can have the same bond with Todd and I.

My dad has had cancer for 10 years, and I predict he'll have it for many more! This is by no means a death sentence. It just has given me time to pause and reflect. Life isn't about what you aquire materially. It is about experiences... what we learn from them, and how we deal with them. And I truly hope that we can always keep this in perspective. I am thankful that Todd and I are content with our life enough to be able to try to truly enjoy these experiences, and use them to make us better people, a better family, and have a stronger relationship with our Savior.


This past month with Ellie, has been full of experiences! So many, that as you can see, it causes us to pass out at times... as you can see with Todd and the boys! But we've had a great time going to the zoo, enjoying watching James play baseball (Alex loved wearing James' batting helmet... he still does), watching Alex grow up and start adoring Ellie, and watching Todd grow older :-) And by the way, this one picture is of Todd with his birthday cake. His hand is out, trying to prevent Alex's spit from landing on the cake... Alex was trying to blow out the candles by blowing raspberries :-)


It has been officially decided that we are going to drive back home. Again, life is for experiences, and we decided that driving would be a much better experience for us as a family, than flying. And it will cost us almost half as much as flying, believe it or not! Tickets back to MSP or Milwaukee have skyrocketed! So, we'll probably leave July 12th, and be gone for 3 weeks. We're taking lots of bikes with us, and can't wait to be together without interruptions! James wished that he could go back in time to do the trip again... well, he's getting his chance! How wonderful it will be to have Todd with us this time!


Well, that's all for now. Summer is finally coming here! 90 by Friday, and looks like the sun is here to stay for a while! I can't believe I'm looking forward to this! We went to the park the other day, and I was wearing a coat when it was 70 out! I used to wear shorts and t-shirt at 70! My friends in MN would mock me! :-) Now, I love the 80's! Anyway, have a great day everyone!

No comments: