Friday, June 13, 2008

Our House is a Home


Last Sunday our Glenn came home from church and said that one of his classmates at church said he didn't like his house. Glenn, with a sad expression, said, "Isn't that sad, Mama." Later that night, and every night since then, Glenn tells me how much he loves his house. Well, I thought it would be fun to prod the mind of a 4 year old. So, I asked him why he loves his house... and he said "because our family lives in it." Talk about hitting the nail on the head. Our house is not a home because it has 4 walls, because it's full of toys, because we have running water (although I can't imagine loving a house without it :-)), or because we have beds or clothes or wonderful food inside. Our house is a home, because there is a family inside who loves each other unconditionally. And for a 4-year old to recognize that importance makes me tear up.


James and Glenn have always appreciated their family (thus far! :-)) by constantly telling us how much they love us, and by doing things for us, and putting each other first before themselves. Although this may not always be the case, it is the moments when James puts a tiny piece of his cookie that is rightfully only his, in every persons spot at the table to share, or the moments when Glenn specifically tells James and Alex 'I love you' in his bed before he goes to sleep. God knew what he was doing when he created families!


No where else can I learn so much about love, patience, and charity. No place else can stretch me like a rubber band beyond my limits, but when I relax back, I've become stretched a little more and have become a better person because of it.


Being away from our immediate family, here in Corvallis, I have learned to stretch my definition of family. It was so hard living far away from family when we first moved to Corvallis. Each year it became a little easier, as we made our own family with the friends we made. I am so blessed to have a circle of friends, after 10 years of living here, who watch out for me as much as my own family would. We help each other clean house, watch kids, get things at the grocery store, and sometimes just drop something by just because. It's love in watching out for one another and caring for one another.


Anyway, I just thank my Heavenly Father for His wonderful Plan of Happiness that includes families. I can't imagine life without my little James, little Glenn, even little Alex, and especially little Ellie who has changed all of our lives. And I am so blessed to have such a wonderful family back in MN and WI, but also such a wonderful family here in Corvallis! Glenn is right... I LOVE my home, and it's because of my family inside, and my friends and family around us who share their love with us as well.


Have a great day everyone, and I'll include a picture, even though it has nothing to do with the post :-)

2 comments:

Chris & Stephanie said...

Amen! Beautiful post, Sarah! You and Todd have done such a great job of instilling that deep sense of love and security in your children - you're amazing parents!

Unknown said...

I was going to say the same. You are both great parents.