Monday, May 27, 2013

Happy Memorial Day

We woke up early this morning (Glenn thought for sure it was 1AM) to attend a flag ceremony and pancake breakfast put on by our church.  The flag ceremony was incredible!  Every scout and cub scout were up front (unfortunately it was raining, so they had it inside), and watching all these kids walk in, looking their best, representing their country, was spine-tingling.  We all arose as the flag entered the room, listened to music as they marched in, all in amazing reverence as the flag moved up to the front.  We all sang America the Beautiful, and a beautiful narrative began about how this day came to be, and about the different wars our country has fought to keep us, and the world free.  Meanwhile, the flag was passed from scout to scout. They posted the colors, and one of our scouts, and a Veteran volunteer, played the bugle call.  I really appreciated the time to think about and honor those who have fought for my freedom.

Thank you to those, including my father and father-in-law, and my nephew and 2 nieces, who have served, and are serving in our armed forces to protect my freedom, and the freedom of those around the world.  I'm grateful to live in a free nation, where I can walk freely, talk freely, and raise my kids in freedom.  May we all work hard to preserve our freedom, whether in the military or not.  We are "one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for ALL."

Happy Memorial Day Everyone!