Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Happy Inauguration Day!

Well, my mother-in-law asked if we were going to have an Inauguration Party. I said emphatically, "No." They are full of promises that they can't keep, etc, etc. Well, we woke up that morning, and I had an e-mail with a lesson plan on the history of the Inauguration... so I first started watching the events over the internet. I was so awe-struck at the history behind this all, that we dropped the Phoenicians today, and studied the Inauguration.

Well, if you know my boys, they LOVE history, and jumped right into my idea. We had a great lesson and learned about some of the different speeches, different presidents, the history behind the Inauguration, and all the changes it has forgone over the years. It was fabulous. Well, we talked about the events for the day, and talked about the conclusion of the Inauguration Ball. My boys thought this was quite cool. And they wanted to dress up....

You never quite know what is going to come about with James... but, I let him run with it. And after asking for a black suit coat of Papa's.... he came up with this costume all on his own... no help except for tucking in the white shirt for him, and getting the black coat. He made me disappear, and came up with this... can you guess who he is?... Theodore Roosevelt, complete with taped on mustache, pillow for a belly, and pipe cleaner glasses. "My favorite president!" he says emphatically. Glenn and Alex dressed up as mushers... I guess if Sarah Palin were in, Lace Mackey may have been invited... so great thinking boys!

So, when Papa got home, we served blue water, pink jello and pink sour cream with chicken enchiladas for our dinner, and ended our evening with a toast to the new President in hopes that he will be able to fulfill SOME of what he promises! Although I do not aspire to become President, nor want my children too, it truly is a beautiful ceremony that does make becoming a President very special! We enjoyed watching the events all day, and especially enjoyed the cake and sparkling cider at night! So, here's to a New President... Happy Inauguration Day!



6 comments:

Becky said...

Once again you are amazing! Another journal entry that begins with I wish I was a mom like Sarah.

D.B. said...

Yea, guess will see huh. You said you got an email with a History lesson. Are you in a specific program or soemthing that your lessons come from?

The Busy Beez said...

That sounds like a lot of fun! Here's my wish added to yours that things do get better under this administration!

Kendra said...

THat is awesome! Way to go beyond the "celebration" of it all, and really learn what has been before and why. I have to ask, do you homeschool your boys? You're doin' great. Love the photos!! What a hoot :D

The Boys Club plus a girl! said...

My goodness, Kendra, it has been forever! How have you been??? And yes, we do homeschool. No set plans as to how long we're going to do this... we're just having fun learning together right now! E-mail me sometime!

emily a. said...

You have the most creative ideas. I love it. I'm going to have to remember some of these. How have you instilled such a love for learning in your kids? Maybe you could post one of these days what you think have been your top best ideas you have done as parents?