Monday, January 19, 2009

A few projects...

Ever wonder what to do with those little pumpkins from Halloween? I've wondered every year. Well, when I asked my mom, she simply said, "Just cook them up and eat them." Could you really do that? So, good ol' Internet came in handy, and I looked up instructions, and voila, here are the results. I made 3 with a rice and veggie mix, and 3 with an apple/raisin/cinnamon mix.

We even scooped out the seeds, and cooked those up... it was a FANTASTIC meal and best of all... the kids LOVED helping. They thought it was so cool that we were going to eat these little suckers... and I was right there with them.. was it REALLY going to work? So, I highly suggest trying this next year! Or this year if you haven't gotten rid of your mini pumpkins yet :-)

And I wanted to throw in a post about 3-D puzzles. This was a 1512 piece 3-D puzzle of San Fransisco. It took us a good 3 days to complete during the Christmas break, and that was with James and me being obsessed until 11PM a couple of nights! The one tool I will never do a 3-D puzzle without, is a nut picker! It was the absolute handiest tool to push and pull all those pieces together! So, if you get an in cling to do a puzzle, make sure you have a pointed object to push and pull!

But I have to say James and I thoroughly enjoyed ourselves! It was a fantastic project to work on together. We had great conversations ranging from Star Wars to jelly beans, and even learned a little about retaining walls... the city truly is at a slant!!

Yes, it was very hard, but yes, it was very rewarding as well! So, if you get a chance to try a 3-D puzzle, try it! It was a lot harder than I originally expected, but turned out to be worth it! And if you want to do San Fransisco, we won't be doing it till next year, so let me know!

Other than that, it was a very busy school week last week, but I got hit with a cold, so we may be slowing down a little. But the Iditarod is kicking into gear, so we'll be surrounded by stuffed dogs again! Oh what fun! Sorry for the sideways picture!
Anyway, enjoy!




4 comments:

Becky said...

wow that puzzle looks so fun. We had one once but none of us had the patience to do it. I might have to try the little pumpkin meals looks yummy!

D.B. said...

holy city, how did you keep it standing with all the little ones? What are you going to do with it now that you're done? Nice pumpkin thought, I wanted to let our kids cook the seeds from one of our pumpkins so we took it with us to my inlaws for thanksgiving, didn't get to it, it was still there at christmas, still didn't do it, oh well

Unknown said...

Fun idea about the pumpkins! Ours were just decorative: heavily waxed, not for consumption (said the tags). lol The ones you made look soooo tasty. I love pumpkin.

Amy said...

Please tell me you are not taking a recking ball to the city?! Wow, I don't think I'd have the patients. That's terrific you guys!