Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Pharoah Jamesglenn

Alright, so we'll try this layout of pictures and see how it goes. James' favorite Ancient God is Horus, the God of the sky. The first picture is of a mask he made so he can pretend to rule the sky whenever he wants. And in front of both boys is our deceased Teddy Bear, Pharoah Jamesglenn. Glenn made up that name. In picture #1 they have cut open Jamesglenn and pulled out his organs (including the brain) to begin the mummification process. They even put the important organs into canopic jars and labeled them... funny enough the Egyptians didn't know what the brain was for, so they threw that away figuring they didn't need it in the afterlife.
The boys added salt and spices to his body to help preserve him! And since we didn't want to wait 40 days, we went ahead and started to put grass back inside of him. But that was a little bit too laborious, so we ended up stuffing him up with toilet paper. And we kept adding spices and perfume, so he wouldn't smell stinky (as Glenn says).
In picture 2 you can see James adding spices, and picture 3 Glenn is stuffing Pharoah Jamesglenn while James is weighing the heart behind him to see if this Pharoah has had a good life. With a name like Jamesglenn, he must have had a fantastic life! :-) The last picture is of our final mummy with a mask on its face that James drew. The canopic jars are by his side, and the boys even made amulets, little workers, and a boat to help the mummy in his next life. We put him in a mummy coffin, but didn't have a stone sarcophogus... maybe next time :-) It was a great activity! The boys had a lot of fun, and now our mummy is on display on our half-wall in its mummy case which is highly adorned with beautiful pictures, and hieroglyphs!

So, we'll see how this layout looks when I'm done. I'm trying to get the writing to match up with the pictures!

Ok. So, a couple of funny things. James and I were looking at a book about Ancient Egypt last night as we were going to bed. I was showing him how the Mediterranean Sea is actually a huge sea, and goes all the way up to Europe. And I asked him if he knew how I knew it was Europe? He said no. So, I put my hand around Italy, and said, see this piece of land right here? I know this is Italy because it is shaped like a boot. Do you see that James? He said, with a curt laugh, "Ha. They shouldn't have called it Italy, they should have called it Bootily, cause it doesn't look like an I."

Also, yesterday I was talking to my parents about politics... which I enjoy discussing! Anyway, I was telling my parents how I wish that Ohama was a little older... he just seems a little young, and I wish he had a few more years before he becamse president... then James came over and said, "If he was older, he'd be wiser!" That's my philosopher!

We're finally getting over our stomach flu! Todd woke up yesterday morning feeling like he was going to throw up, but never did (thankfully because he had a huge day at work where is was present with judges, lawyers, etc!). Although he still doesn't feel well, he does feel a little better this morning than yesterday morning. So, now that all the sheets are washed, laundry done, counters bleached, we're ready to be healthy again.... for a loooooooong time!

Take care everyone! Love, US

No comments: